Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Book


A couple of years ago, I persuaded my husband to read The Artist's Way, by Julia Cameron, to me. At first the very idea of reading about being an artist so frightened me that I had to turn away as he read the words. Why are we so blocked sometimes? Why do we slink into a corner when it comes to creativity? Well, there are as many answers as there are artists. Sometimes the answers change from day to day.
The book slowly eased the critical self in me and I began to draw every night before going to sleep. The ink pen I was using would occasionally misbehave, so I would make scratchy lines in an attempt to fix it. The lines started to take shape. They became things. Things without judgement. Items free to wander the page--belonging everywhere. These things didn't have to have frames. And, they didn't have to be great.

No comments: