Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A Scrape, A Spritz and a Happy Result

Working today on an artists' board (from Dick Blick art materials), I again (!) failed to check the back of the panel for the built in hang hole. Yikes. Of course, I had a nagging thought two hours after I had painted the image. That old axiom about the preciousness of one's work reminded me that it was okay to scrape off the paint and begin again. As I did so, I enjoyed the process half way through and documented how this looks. This view shows the hill scraped away and the sky still in place. Then, I spritzed the painting with a spray bottle of water (I use water miscible oils) and loved that effect, too. Didn't take a photo of it, but I will be experimenting with this in the future and I'll share anything I learn. Here is the result, after I flipped the panel and re-painted the image with palette knife and brush. This is a 9" x 12," artists' panel (Pink Sky New Mexico). Wish these panels were a bit more affordable because they are really wonderful to work on.

11 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Wow. Yum. I love this painting. I love both of them, but have been staring at pink sky New Mexico, and know I could see this, only maybe not with the deep oil paint effect.

Just fabulous.

xoxoxoxoxBarbara

Melinda said...

I'm glad you like this, Barbara! This is just the way I feel about paint in general. Yum. I often have to remind myself not to eat the paint...

Virtual hugs!

Karen said...

Interesting! I definitely want to hear more about your experiments with those water mixable oils. Why did you choose to work with them? I'm especially curious about the spritzing possibilities, and all the randomness that you could take advantage of.

You are brave, to scrape off! I don't know how much easier that might ever get.

kathrynlaw said...

Way to go!! Experimentation is probably the most important thing we do, and fearlessness is a huge component. Even if the result had not been as beautiful as it is, you still did the right thing. :)

Melinda said...

Hi Karen,
Yes, I will gladly show more experimentation and talk about it a bit more. It was a pretty exciting moment.

I use the water mixable oils, and love them, because regular oils plus medium gets me high...not in a nice way! I still have to be careful with the Winsor Newton Artisan oils, but mixing with water and only occasionally using their medium keeps the side effects to a minimum. It's really cool to be able to spritz these oils with water and watch them act like watercolor or to pretend that they are watercolor and begin a painting that way!

I was desperate! I had to scrape it or I would have been in a snit the rest of the evening if I'd let the painting remain. It just was not working, to put it mildly. Brave? Well, I'm not so sure. I did hesitate and I felt guilty enough about wasting paint that I saved the scrapings in a glass jar to be used later. It was very liberating and, when one is disgusted with a painting session, a bit of a relief. But, I'm with you, I don't know how easy it will be in the future.

Melinda said...

Thank you Kathyrn! You are so right. It is hard to experiment sometimes, but really, completely safe, yes? I mean, no one will get hurt if we ruin a painting or do something wild with the materials, right? Yet, we hesitate and second guess so often.

I appreciate your words very much! You are so brave with your work and I'm enjoying your process.

Melinda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Art Fan Ako said...

You pulled it off! Instead of morning, it's now early evening. Nice effect!

Melinda said...

Thank you, Art Fan!

Linny D. Vine said...

This combination of colors is very "Melinda" and the whole painting says confidence !

Melinda said...

Oh, I like that very much, Linny. I'm hoping a signature will appear as recognizable and that the icing on the cake would be an expression of confidence!

Thank you for such encouraging words.