Monday, April 16, 2012

Tucson Artists' Open Studios Tour: Artist Melinda Grateful for All Visitors

First blooms in my yard © 2012 Melinda S. Esparza

Spring in Tucson is so gorgeous with its clear skies, blooming cacti (yum, food on the way!) and so many events for snowbirds and locals to enjoy.

We had us some fun this Saturday and Sunday! Good people showed up, laughed and talked, and paintings were bought. Whew! I'm a little frazzled today.

Studio view © 2012 Melinda S. Esparza

But...I'm mostly very grateful to you all.

Thank you for stopping in and for visiting on Ustream as I gave two painting demos in preparation for my Grand Canyon Artist-in-Residence coming up in late June.

Here are photos of the two I worked on, unfinished, as of yesterday. I hope to finish them soon.

Blue Pedernal #2 (30" x 30," oil on cradled artists' board) © 2012 Melinda S. Esparza

Catalinas Study Begun (30" x 30," oil on cradled artists' board) © 2012 Melinda S. Esparza

I hope you all are planning on lots of time in the studio this week. When you get a chance, mosey on over to The Madness of Art and look at how it's done in New York (You know, gallery contracts, artist/gallerist negotiations). Gee, I have a bike with one of those bells...In my dreams, I'm ringin' it.

12 comments:

Bridget Hunter said...

I would have loved to have seen these being worked on - love that colour blue. Lucky those people who were watching.

Melinda said...

Hello Bridget,
I was so hoping that you'd get a chance to chat during the demo. I was looking for you. Yet, I know that the time difference is great.

Thank you for your kind comment.

Warm hugs from the desert!

Jeane Myers said...

what a beautiful flower and plant - I love this photo - well I hope you are resting from your amazing weekend - thanks again for the opportunity to have a peek inside your studio - it was so cool!! xo

cohen labelle said...

Lovely first blooms in your garden!
Thanks again for your inspiring appearance on Ustream during the weekend!!! I loved watching you, your attack and your energy. And marvelous paintings as one might expect.
xo, Marcia

Melinda said...

Thank you so much, Jeane!

I'm starting to recover from all of the excitement of the weekend. It's such a big deal for me. All the nice people, the flurry of visitors, the preparation, mean that I'm a bit crazed by the end.

So glad that you got to visit on Ustream. I'm now looking forward to your videos...Hint, hint!

Sunny hugs!

Melinda said...

Hi Marcia,
Yes, the blooms are happily announcing the coming fruit that I love. Everywhere there are beautiful blooms. Especially beautiful are the Saguaro (pronounced: Sa-waro) flowers. They knock me out!

You are too kind. But, I do love the "attack" and "energy" part of your comment. ;-)

Wish you could be here. Warm hugs to you.

Bridget Hunter said...

I finally got to view your demo via Ustream - my computer was sick for 6 days :>((. I see you use waterbased oils which was interesting. I've tried them before for ease of cleaning up. I liked the way you kept snapping your gloves- made me smile! I suppose you could fill a spray with turps when using ordinary oils to get those wonderful runs and splashes.

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Melinda,

That was an awesome weekend, really inspiring. It's great to see the work in photos too. Thanks for the link to the Madness of Art. What a treat. I've been working insane hours and I'm behind on commenting. Congratulations on your wonderful work, and on a great show.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoBarbara

Melinda said...

Hello Bridget,
Ah, I'm so sorry about your computer, and I'm glad that you are back online.

I do really enjoy working with water based oils because of their range. It's true. You can certainly use a spray bottle of turpentine (even odorless turp) and get most of the same effects. Do you think you'll try that?

Your work is gorgeous. I wonder what would happen if you did spritz with turp...

Thank you!

Melinda said...

Hi Barbara,
You are the busiest person I know! And, you always have such a great attitude.

Thank you for being a part of the open studio weekend. It was a lot of fun, made better by your presence.

Best wishes as you go forward!
Virtual hugs--

Linny D. Vine said...

Melinda, I'm so happy to read that it was a huge success!! Your paintings are gorgeous and your collectors are soooo fortunate!!

Melinda said...

Thank you, dear Linny. I really appreciate your visiting and commenting.

I feel the same about your work too.

Warm hugs to you and yours.