Saturday, November 5, 2011

2011 Fall Tucson Open Studio Tour: Tucson Artist Melinda Esparza Offers an Invitation and A Preview

We're on the run up to next week's 2011 Tucson Open Studios Tour. So, of course, I'm all over the place: cleaning, raking, looking at images, hoping to paint more. work in progress Image © 2011 Melinda S. Esparza There is this work in progress, 'no name' painting, 8" x 8," on artists' board, that may get done before next week--prolly not. There is this one that I really, really want to throw paint at, 'almost named' on 30" x 30" canvas. Whew! I might just start it and work on it while people perambulate (Howz that for building one's vocabulary while stressed?) Image © 2011 Melinda S. Esparza I received several postcards yesterday, highlighting the 5x5 Invitational at Westmont Museum of Art. I sent in my piece, Peak Red on Paper, just before deadline, so my name is not included, but check out the site as the auction draws nearer the date, November 20th through December 16th. I'm hoping that you'll be able to see my work in with the rest. Image © 2011 Melinda S. Esparza However, of interest are quite a few artists I admire. You may also want to visit their sites too. Squeak Carnwarth Mary Lee Bendolph Mary Ince Helen Garber Carol Burnett (that Carol Burnett?!), and a few guys too! Oh, yeah...And, me, Melinda, Oh, MY! There are works by: Ed Moses John Baldessari Robert Mangold. Have a look! For a smidgeon of context (turned around), a summary for now, may your approach follow the dictum "ut pictura poesis"--"as is painting, so is poetry"--Horace, Ars Poetica (c. 13 BC)

8 comments:

Jema said...

I know that feeling, the deadline approaching or event, and I can't get enough done! I also get distracted easily and start doing things that have nothing to do with the deadline!

Melinda said...

Hi JeMa,
Yes, we have a lot of company. With deadlines looming, the most trivial of tasks, previously ignored, become super important.

Barbara Muir said...

Wow, Wow and wow. I've just been looking at your paintings in the link and in this blog -- so astoundingly wonderful. I am over the moon happy for you. I felt very happy to understand the Latin "ut pictura poesis" before reading the translation.

Have a great time, as will anyone who looks at your magnificent art.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxBarbara

Melinda said...

Thank you, Barbara. I'm so glad you like the paintings.

I'm solidly impressed that you knew the Latin.

Wish you could be here. I know you will be in spirit, though.

Virtual hugs!

Donald Diddams said...

Only a few days to go! I love these mountain paintings with their vivid colors -- I mean, just look at that pinkish-lavender sky slathered on there, with the blue driping down and the light shining through! Magical, is it a mountain or a giant gemstone?
Here's to a fabulous and exciting weekend!! Wish I could see them in person. That's always so uch better.

Bridget Hunter said...

Think your mountain works are very special. I want to come and paint with you !!!!! And thankyou for the links to the other artists. Reading blogs has certainly introduced me to some terrific painters - including your good self of course :>))

Melinda said...

Oh, thank you so very much, Don!
Your encouragement and enthusiasm mean a great deal to me.

You know, I'm not even done with the painting! I hope I don't lose what you see.

Come on, now! Someday you'll want to dry out from the Florida humidity, and Tucson is the best place for that!

Virtual hugs to you and yours.

Melinda said...

Hello Bridget,
Yes, come on over and we'll play with some paint!

I'm so glad you like the mountain paintings. The blog world is way cool, isn't it?!

We learn so much from each other and sharing what we know is a good part of it.

Hope you are working on all that you want. Wishing you all the best.

Thank you for commenting too!