Monday, July 28, 2008

Portrait #2


Little King of Everything
And...another self portrait. When I was a little girl living in California, my mother, war bride from London, made a Queen of England Halloween costume for me. I was very proud of it. As I grew older, I realized that the boys seemed to be treated with more respect and privilege. This was very disconcerting and I became a tomboy in response. A few years ago, I did a bunch of genealogy research and learned that my family is both British and Native American, plus the usual mixture! (We're talking Heinz 57!) This painting is a commentary on my genetic history and how I feel sometimes as a woman. I was always green with envy that my older brother got to go places and do things I could not...Please scroll down for the first portrait.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even more clever than the first. I love the story behind it. You have a great imagination. Reminds me a bit of one of the girls in The Chronicles of Narnia.

Melinda said...

I never thought of the girls in 'Narnia, but that is interesting. I loved the book. Each of these paintings just happened as I thought about personal history. Aren't all paintings self portraits anyway? Thank you for commenting.

Edgar said...

This painting is so melancholy! There is a sadness in the eyes... Little King, yes, but shoulders too narrow, feet not squared, body too thin and young to bear the weight of "Everything."

This reminds me of a halloween I was a pirate -- wild, strong and dangerous. Later, I saw pictures of my self-made costume... I didn't have an eye patch, so I had used an ace bandage. I realized, I really just looked like the walking wounded, not a pirate.

...okay, maybe I'm projecting some of my own baggage into the painting, but that's the nature of the communication loop.

David Lobenberg said...

I like these charming portraits! Hey, me mum is a war bride as well. She's 84 and going strong. Guess they build em tough in limey land! My high school nickname was Limey. Funny for a Lobenberg to be called that!

Melinda said...

David,
Wow! What are the odds of running into another second generation "limey?" My older brother was also called that in school. Yes, they are pretty darn tough! It gives us a different perspective on things, doesn't it?
Thank you for your comments.